Sunday, October 27, 2013

Metastatic Breast Cancer

This morning, on the front page of the Life section of the Idaho Statesman is a piece on metastatic breast cancer. I encourage you to read it. It is an amazing work by my friend, Chad.

Chad has a unique ability to empathize and when he writes a story, he jumps all the way in, seeking to understand fully the stories of those he writes about. He doesn't do it for profit or to make a name for himself. He's not driven by ambition, but rather by a true heart to help...to help those battling the disease and to help others understand. He's a voice, advocating for these women and painting a picture of the rawness and beauty found in their stories.

I've read few things that adequately and accurately represent the battle these women face. Although I'm not currently facing metastatic cancer, the possibility of it looms over me constantly and these women's stories overwhelm me as I think about the courage and the strength that is required of them. They deserve nothing less than extreme admiration.

Here is the link:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/10/27/2836432/putting-the-realities-of-cancer.html

I get easily overwhelmed by the number of people I hear about regularly that face cancer and hardship. Sometimes I just want to cover my ears, close my eyes and pretend it isn't real. But it is real. And as much as I wish it wasn't, I have to force myself to look it right in the face and do whatever I can to help. So, if you could join me in saying a quick prayer for the women in Chad's article and the following people, I would greatly appreciate it:

1. My friend Maria is battling a rare form of cancer. She needs prayer. Cancer invades your life. As if treatment isn't difficult enough, it affects your finances, your family (and all relationships for that matter), your job, etc. Please pray for her!

2. I have a friend who asked for prayer for someone she knows: a 27-year-old woman who is 6-months pregnant and just diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. I can only imagine the difficult decisions she has to make right now. Please pray for her as she deals with this diagnosis and faces treatment in the midst of giving birth.

Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Breaks my heart that anyone has to go through it. Will read the article today when I go through the paper at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie. I will add them to my list. It is a growing list of precious women.

    ReplyDelete