Monday, September 10, 2012

Home School

Since I complained so much last year about putting my son in public school, I should mention that I am homeschooling this year. My oldest is in second grade and my other son is in kindergarten. So far, it is going really well. My standards for education are much lower than they once were, and I've learned to let go of the things that aren't that important. I'm keeping it very simple.
The kids are thriving on the one-on-one time they get with me. I can't believe the change in their behavior and their responsiveness to me. Discipline must always be balanced in love, and I have been lacking in demonstrating my love for them by neglecting quality one-on-one time. Homeschooling has given me the opportunity and structure to fill that void.
It is so much fun and brings me SO MUCH joy!

I also have the opportunity to be involved in a homeschool co-op once a week. Today was the first day. It is a co-op that some of my closest friends are also involved in. As I walked up, one of my friends saw me and got emotional at the prospect of being able to see me and my kids every week. She said, "Something has been missing, and now it feels complete." It was wonderful to see them, but seeing them is also a painful reminder of what once was. I cried all the way home.

2 comments:

  1. That makes me cry, too. :o( But I love the girl you were and the girl you are and the new that is now! You are an amazing woman filled with compassion. I loved seeing you today and can't wait for many more weeks of seeing you! I love you sweet sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you Mama... :) I love the way you love your kids!! Rachel Mills

    ReplyDelete