Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hymns

A blogger at Wordwise Hymns ran across my blog the other day. So I decided to check his out. What an amazing site! He blogs about old hymns, including the history of the hymns and their creators. The stories behind the hymns are as amazing as the hymns themselves.

I love old hymns. I listen to them often. What encouragement and comfort they bring! There have been so many nights that listening to these words brought calm to my storm...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is sad to me how many churches have turned solely to modern choruses and have completely neglected old hymns. I suppose it is an attempt to be relevant to a younger generation. But in the process, an older generation, along with all of their gifting and wisdom, has been devalued and alienated. And we miss out on the richness and depth of worship that comes from these songs.

Robert at Wordwise Hymns recently blogged about the hymn Day By Day. Of course, that hymn is close to my heart. It is the title of this blog. The words are listed in my sidebar. And this lesson of trusting the Lord, one day at a time, knowing that He will give me everything I need to make it through each day, is one that I was required to learn very quickly.
Robert's post is worth reading, especially if you struggle with worry or fear. He quoted John Newton, and I just loved this illustration and had to steal the quote and post it below. But please, check out the entire post HERE. If you have time, click on the link to the hymn's author Lina Sandell.

“Sometimes I compare the troubles which we have to undergo in the course of the year to a great bundle of fagots [sticks gathered for firewood], far too large for us to lift. But God does not require us to carry the whole at once; He mercifully unties the bundle, and gives us first one stick, which we are to carry today, and then another which we are to carry tomorrow, and so on. This we might easily manage, if we would only take the burden appointed for us each day; but we chose to increase our troubles by carrying yesterday’s stick over again today, and adding tomorrow’s burden to our load, before we are required to bear it” (from Out of the Depths, Newton’s autobiography, p. 159).

1 comment:

  1. We still sing the hymn's at our church as well as the new I am one of the worship leaders and I too love the words in the Hymns. Thank you stephanie

    ReplyDelete