Sunday, January 1, 2012

Geared Up


I have never run a marathon. I have never wanted to run a marathon. But when I was first diagnosed with cancer, I foolishly told my running buddy that if I survived, I would run a marathon. My goal is the Portland Marathon in October of 2012. I'm starting to think it may be unrealistic. The times I have tried to exercise, it has been intensely difficult. I am still extremely fatigued. I am prone to injury. At times I feel like an 80-year-old woman, weak and feeble. Regardless, I'm going to give it my best shot. It very possibly may not be this year, or even the next. But I have resolved to do my best to keep my promise.
I'm prepared. And if having all the proper gear indicates success, then I will be successful! I have new shoes, a new Garmin (complete with heart rate monitor) and my ever-so-faithful iPod.
A few days ago, I put on all my running attire and hit the road. I completed my old two-mile neighborhood loop. It was painful! I walked most of it, and came home with sore, arthritic-feeling feet. It was more difficult than I expected, but it's a start!
I invite you to join me. If anyone out there has ever wanted to train for a race, now is the time!! If I can do it, so can you. We all have obstacles to overcome. It will be painful. It will be discouraging. We will face failure. But we will get back up and press on!!
Ready. Set. GO!

1 comment:

  1. "It will be painful. It will be discouraging. We will face failure. But we will get back up and press on!!" is quite motivating! I like the truth in that.
    I'm only aiming for beating my time for last year's spring 5K. But, I'm excited for you--- Go Stephanie!!!

    ReplyDelete