Monday, December 5, 2011

Power Port

I had my port removed last Monday. I was hoping they would knock me out, since I am intensely squeamish. Instead, I was awake for the entire procedure, and am now left with a very sore incision that has been nicely stitched up. Damie, who is on the other end of the squeamish spectrum, watched the entire thing, all the while telling the surgeon of all his brutish experiences doctoring up his own wounds. Damie has, in fact, given himself stitches multiple times. He loves to learn new and better techniques from trained professionals, just in case he ever finds himself needing to perform emergency surgery.
For those of you who don't know what a port is, it is a medical device that is placed under the skin. It is attached by a catheter to a vein. It makes it easier to take blood and to administer chemo and other drugs, and causes less damage to the veins. Although I detested it, it is, in fact a wonderful device.
It is placed right below the collar bone. Because I'm very boney in that area, mine protruded grossly. It made it easy for the nurses to find and accurately place the needle - so much so, that I was the perfect candidate for nursing students to gain practice, and I got my chance to be a lab rat.
How glad I am to be rid of it!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Steph! So happy for this chapter in your life to be closed.
    Praise the Lord! :)

    ReplyDelete