Thursday, December 8, 2011

Growing Old

Today I am 38. I'm not sure what happened to 37. It seems like just yesterday I was 36. The last two years have been a blur. I am very thankful to be celebrating my birthday this year. I was at the store check-out a few months ago, when the young clerk told me it was his birthday. The kid couldn't have been much older than twenty. He commented about feeling old and not looking forward to birthdays anymore. I smiled to myself. Then I decided to speak up. I told him that I had just finished a brutal battle with cancer, and how thankful I will be to celebrate my birthday. Growing old is a gift. Every wrinkle, every scar, every gray hair, each representing an experience that makes us who we are. It is sad the lengths we go through to cover them, and how little we value aging.
I remember a friend once prayed for me. He prayed for long life. He prayed that I would see my grandchildren. It took my breath away. I had not dared to hope for that. My prayer was that my kids would have a mom as long as they needed one. But grandchildren! Oh what a gift that will be!
I'm excited to grow old. I'm excited for 40. I'm excited for 50 and 60 and 70...
What wonderful opportunities to celebrate the gift of life!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday friend. Here's to many more birthdays for you, your kids and your grandkids (and great grandkids?!?!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Steph! What a wonderful way to think about growing old. God is gifting you with such wisdom and a thankful heart. It blesses all of us to hear it! Hope you have many, many joyful days / years to come.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Have a wonderful birthday :) And never forget that age is simply a number :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! I loved this post:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, so glad I could see you and celebrate a little with you on your special day, what a beautiful year this is gonna be!

    ReplyDelete