Friday, October 28, 2011

Update

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. For those of you who aren't on Facebook, here was my status update on October 12th:

I'm done!! I'm done! I'm done!!! I can't believe I'm actually DONE!!! Woohoo!!!!!

I had my last Herceptin treatment that day. I expected to feel emotional about it. I mostly felt excited. Unbelievably excited. Like life may actually return to some semblance of normal.
Yet, I have a difficult time being normal. When I meet new people, I always wonder, do I tell them? And if so, when? When we first meet? After I've known them a week? Or two? And how do you say, "Oh, by the way, I just survived a year and a half of cancer treatment."
Cancer is such a huge part of my life. But now it is time to move on. It doesn't have to constantly occupy my mind or be a part of every conversation.
I imagine a day will come when I meet someone new, and these thoughts won't come into my mind. At that moment, I will know that I have moved on. That cancer no longer defines me. That cancer was just one more trial in my life, one more thing I have overcome, and it is just one part of my story, not the whole thing.

I followed up my last treatment with a 10-day cleanse, in an attempt to expedite the healing process. I felt horrible the entire time. The Herceptin side effects were exacerbated as my body worked hard to remove those toxins. I felt like I was in a fog. I couldn't think clearly and I was exhausted all the time. If you talked to me in the last ten days, I probably said or did something really unintelligent. I'm starting to feel better now, and I expect to feel relatively normal soon.

That's all for now. I have something else weighing on my heart, but I'll give that a post of its own...

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Stephanie - you have truly been an inspiration - I'm not sure how many people go could through what you have been through with the grace and faith that you possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of my hero's! I'm so proud of you Stephanie. Every time you dance I see you stomping on the devil's head! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Stephanie as I think back over the past year and a half all I can think is wow. You are amazing. God in you is AMAZING. I see you dancing on the devil's head, yelling THIS IS HOW WE OVERCOME! Thank you for your incredible example of courage and faith<3 sarav

    ReplyDelete