Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolution

Here it is, a new year. I lay in bed awake, pondering what this next year will look like.
For Christmas, my dad and step-mom bought us tickets to the Idaho Shakespeare Festival, in August. Of course I said we would go. We love the Shakespeare Festival. But in the back of my mind, I found myself hesitant to commit. How do I know what my life will be like in eight months? I think back to how much of my life I thought I had control over, how many plans I've made, assuming I knew my future. How strangely arrogant of me.
I'm tempted to make New Year's resolutions. There are so many things I want to do this year...things I've been unable to do, things that in the past I've been afraid to do.
Will this be a year of restoration? Or will it be a year of tragedy?
I don't know.
I do know this: New Year's resolutions are foolish. I don't know what tomorrow will bring.
So I resolve to do this...to live today to the fullest. TODAY I will do all those things that most people intend to do tomorrow.
I will eat healthy TODAY.
I will exercise TODAY.
I will play with my kids TODAY.
I will love God with all my heart TODAY.
I will reach out to someone in need TODAY.
No more good intentions.
No more worrying about tomorrow.
One day at a time. Day by day.

"In their hearts humans plan their course,
   but the LORD establishes their steps." ~Proverbs 16:9

"Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
   but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails." ~Proverbs 19:21

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." ~Matthew 6:34

"Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil." ~James 4:13-16

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Steph! Happy New Year to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this....it's right where my heart is today as I think about the new year. "So I resolve to do this...to live today to the fullest....no more good intentions". I love it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Stephanie! God bless and may He heal you fully and give you the desires of your heart..Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the Lord and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart!! JVee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie -- thanks for the reminder to us all to FOCUS on today. That is all any of us have and so we must make every precious moment and breath make a difference.

    Hugs and Prayers for you and your wonderful family, now and throughout 2011.

    Sara Jones

    ReplyDelete