Sunday, December 12, 2010

Trials of Faith

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" ~Philippians 4:4

I've experienced God's ability to deliver me from a trial.
And I've experienced God's grace to endure a trial.

Before my diagnosis, when I heard about someone with cancer, I felt sad, and horrified. Cancer was one of my greatest fears.
This was the wrong response.

There should be compassion.
Definitely compassion.

But for the christian who believes God's word, there should be joy. We are commanded to rejoice through trials.
This is partly a decision. But it is also the realization that it is through our weakness that God is made strong in us. It is the realization that we experience God most in our trials and that we are refined by the fire of affliction. Through trials, God's miraculous power and glory are revealed in and through us. Now that is something to get excited about!

Our greatest fear should be the lukewarm life of comfort and complacency.
A life without God. A life wasted.

I had to repent.
I haven't been rejoicing.
I haven't been trusting.
I've been focusing on myself and not the source of my hope.
So I'm holding on to God, with all the strength I have left.
I can endure. I will rejoice, because I have been redeemed!

"Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." ~Psalm 37:4-6

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ~John 16:33

"You will keep in perfect peace
him whose mind is steadfast,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever,
for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal." ~Isaiah 26:3-4

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you... It was a while between posts and I was starting to worry.
    It's a difficult journey of roads not traveled. There's a learning curve.

    PBT.... pray-believe-trust.
    W went around house to house last night with the Arabic church we go to here. It's their tradition to do this at Christmas time. We sing songs, the pastor reads some scripture and we ask God's blessing on the family for the upcoming year.

    It was fun and hard at the same time.. Our family isn't here.

    Long, untraveled road...with learning curves.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy-Healthy New Year

    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me dear friend.
    THank you for sharing your heart.
    I begin each day with a prayer for you.
    You are ALWAYS on my heart!

    ReplyDelete