Thursday, November 18, 2010

Second AC Chemo

I had my second AC chemo treatment yesterday (AC is an abbreviation for the names of the drugs they are giving me this time). It was supposed to be on Tuesday but my appointment got mixed up, so it ended up being on Wednesday instead.
I was not excited to be there. I expressed my lack of enthusiasm to my oncologist. I told him I needed some reassurance that this treatment is necessary. I told him I thought the chemo was doing more damage than good.
We had a good discussion. He is very honest about what they know and what they don't. We discussed some other cases I had heard about, and the doctor explained many things about cancer and treatment. He answered questions that I was too afraid to ask in the beginning.
I don't want to go into too much detail, so I'll tell you the thing I most wanted to hear. After discussing some other cases, he said with serious enthusiasm, "but in YOUR case, you responded so well to the first round of chemo, if you stick with the remaining treatment, we can practically cure you."
Now "cure" is rarely a word you hear in the same sentence as "cancer." Usually it is "remission" or "a cancer-free state."
I got pretty excited about that. Praise the Lord!
The doctor lowered my dose by 20%, and assured me this treatment would be much better than the last one. And so far, it has been. I don't feel great, but I feel a million times better than last time. This I can handle.

8 comments:

  1. Is that the one they call "The Red Bullet"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! The "A" = Adriamycin. It looks like Hawaiin Punch and they inject it with a syringe...rather than the regular drip line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise GOD....I can sleep tonight now knowing that you aren't in excruciating pain. I pray you sleep well, too. Love you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is Good, all the time! Praise the Lord Stephanie. Your little Blaine contingency rejoices with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stuff does suck. Hang in there because just when you can't take anymore of it, it's all over. Be strong sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY GOD!!!

    Love, peace, hugs and kisses from Israel
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Ya! Wahoo! SO happy to hear they turned down the "lever." Praying for you!

    Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful report! Talk about a light at the end of the tunnel. God is so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete