Many have been asking about my treatment plan...
- I've been taking a wonder-drug called Herceptin weekly. It has very few side-effects. There is a really great movie about it called Living Proof. I haven't actually watched it because I was told it would be hard for me. But it is supposed to be VERY good.
- Every third week, I take Taxol (the one that causes the reaction). Also a wonder drug for my specific flavor of cancer, and it has caused most of my side-effects. The Herceptin/Taxol combo is a twelve-week regimen. Today is week 10.
- At the end of September, I'll have surgery...a mastectomy. The plan is for a single, but I will be discussing with my doctors the possibility of a double mastectomy - for peace of mind, and prevention. My oncologist doesn't think it's necessary. Please pray that God would help me with that decision! And I welcome words of advice if anyone has experience or opinions in these matters.
- About four weeks after surgery, I will start chemo again. Two different drugs than the ones I'm on now, for 8 weeks. I've been told they are more difficult than the chemo I'm on now. More side-effects, more fatigue.
- That will be followed by radiation (not sure how many weeks). I will also go back on the Herceptin (for 9-10 months) and an oral hormone-blocker (for 5+ years).