Saturday, July 24, 2010

Yesterday

Yesterday was eventful. I went to MSTI for my long treatment. My dad went with me. It was a special time. Even though we talked about regular things all day, there is something sweet and intimate about sharing the trials of life with those you love. I've felt a unique bond with each dear friend or family member who has gone with me.

I'll start with the bad news...
I had a reaction to one of the medications. It was strange because I didn't have a reaction to it the first time I had the drug three weeks ago. They did everything the same and my body revolted.
My chest was tight. I couldn't breathe. I could see little stars shooting at me. Pain shot through my lower back. My face turned bright red and my blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed.
They immediately stopped the treatment, gave me oxygen, then Benadryl and Steroids. I recovered and was able to finish the treatment without problems. It was a bit scary.
Of course, these are the complications that I fear. Every time something scary happens and I'm forced to face my fear, I get through it with peace and courage. It sets me free. I overcome! God is so faithful to walk with me and give me peace and comfort through the storm.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." ~Psalm 23:4

Now on to the good news...
Before the treatment, I met with the oncologist. He asked if the tumors had been shrinking. I hadn't really checked, not thinking it could happen that quickly. The doctor did a thorough exam and was happy to report that they had shrunk significantly! So much so that when he first started checking, he jokingly said, "Are you sure the cancer is in the right breast?"
Praise the Lord!! This is an answer to prayer. I am rejoicing! Thank you friends for laboring with me in prayer!
I keep coming across verses in the Bible about God setting a boundary for the sea, and I pray that God would set a boundary that the cancer cannot cross.

"Should you not fear me?" declares the LORD.
"Should you not tremble in my presence?
I made the sand a boundary for the sea,
an everlasting barrier it cannot cross.
The waves may roll, but they cannot prevail;
they may roar, but they cannot cross it." ~Jeremiah 5:22

4 comments:

  1. "A bit scary" is a bit of an understatement, to say the least. It was VERY scary. What was most remarkable to me was how calm everybody was, especially Stephanie, who did not panic at all and even maintained her sense of humor. It's good that this is the kind of reaction that occurs during chemo, in an environment in which the customer is being closely monitored, in this case by a highly competent, compassionate, very alert nurse with several other professionals who were in the room and expertly and efficiently handling the situation within about 10 seconds.

    It seems strange to say, but the environment in which Stephanie had her treatment yesterday was not anything like most people would expect. It was bright and comfortable, with kind, relaxed, compassionate, cheerful people all over the place. It was actually a wonderful place to be.

    Stephanie slept for at least an hour during the final stage of treatment (after the crisis), with a peaceful look on her face, almost a smile, and she was so beautiful and feminine sleeping there that I kept looking up from my reading and thinking how odd (though understandable) it was for her to be worried about how she looks while in the process of chemo treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Praise the Lord that the tumors are shrinking!
    And that you were able to keep your strength during a very scary time yesterday.
    You continue to inspire me Stephanie.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of you daily, and I am glad to hear you are staying positive. You did a good job cutting your hair, I am sure which ever one you pick, you will be just a beautiful.
    Love
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of people praying for you up here in Birch Bay WA,. Your words are a testimony to His faithfulness and your strength a witness of Him being strong when we are week. Keep pressing in girl knowing he doesn't waste a single moment of our lives. I am praying for you.
    Tami
    PS I love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete