Saturday, June 26, 2010

On Being Brave

I've been thinking about bravery lately. Sometimes I feel full of faith and strength, other times I am crippled by fear. I keep coming back to the story of Joshua in the Bible. God says over and over to Joshua,
"Be strong and courageous."
"Be strong and VERY courageous."
God even says, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
It finally clicked...courage is not a feeling. It is not an emotion. It is a choice! If God commands courage, then it is clearly something I can choose. Courage is a discipline of my thoughts. It is a discipline of my emotions.
It's source is in the wonderful knowledge that God is with me wherever I go. God. Almighty God, who spoke and the world was created. He is with me. How incredible is that!

As I go forward, from discovery to treatment, here are some things to pray...
1. Praise God for his faithfulness and for not giving me more than I can handle
2. No serious complications from the treatment
3. That the treatment would be effective and the cancer would respond, shrink, disappear
4. Minimal side effects
5. Grace and peace for my family
6. God's miraculous healing!
7. As I meet new people, especially other cancer patients, that I would be able to encourage them
8. That God would be glorified through this

1 comment:

  1. You ARE strong and courageous!

    ReplyDelete